|ScopeMed.org - Online Journal Management System
- Gülhane Medical Journal is the official scientific publication of the Gülhane Military Medical Academy, published quarterly. The journal publishes experimental and clinical (original) research articles, case reports and review articles in the areas of general medicine and military medicine. Research articles submitted for publication should reflect new scientific findings, and case reports should include new diagnostic and therapeutic methods, or rare diseases and syndromes. Review articles should be prepared only after consulting the Editorial Board; the number of authors should not be more than one, and the author should have been experienced and should have studied before about the topic of the article. Replies, corrections and erratum written criticizing or in contribution to the articles published in the journal may be published as "letter to the editor" after approval of the Editorial Board. These articles should not exceed 1000 words and be supplied with a maximum of five references.
- For every article submitted for publication but not prepared according to the publication rules of the journal, Editorial Board has the authority not to publish it, to send it back to the authors or to send it to the reviewers. In order to provide consistency to the publication rules of the journal, Editorial Board may demand the authors to review, shorten or revise the articles submitted for publication.
- Teaching staff of the Gülhane Military Medical Academy and scientists from various medical centers who succeed in their fields nationally and/or internationally constitute the advisory scientific board (reviewers) of the journal. Other scientists not included in the advisory scientific board may also be asked by the Editorial Board to review the articles, if needed. Articles submitted for publication undergo the review of the Editorial Board and at least two reviewers before being accepted for publication.
- Articles submitted for publication should be neither published in any journal before nor submitted simultaneously to another journal. Presentations at scientific meetings may be published provided that this is declared.
- Language of publication is Turkish and English.
- A copyright transfer letter approved and signed by all the authors and including the following statement should accompany the submitted article.
- "The following author(s) transfer the copyright of the article entitled "(name of the article)" to Gülhane Medical Journal if it is accepted for publication, agree with the opinions in the article, state that this research article/case report is original, it has neither been previously published in any journal (except for presentations at scientific meetings) nor simultaneously submitted to another journal"
- Institutional ethics committee approval form documenting that the study has been reviewed and ethically approved should accompany the experimental and clinical research articles submitted for publication.
- Contents of the articles published or accepted for publication in Gülhane Medical Journal reflect only the ideas of the authors, and consistency to ethical issues and scientific content are under the responsibilities of the authors, but not the Editorial Board.
- Manuscripts should be written justified, double-spaced, with a font of 12 pt and "Times New Roman" style with margins of three cm from each side as the "Microsoft Word" document of the article constituted in IBM-compatible computers, and sent via either www.scopemed.org or www.gulhanemedicaljournal.org. Submitted manuscripts, whether accepted or not, are not returned to the authors. It should be kept in mind that the most important factor in either rejection of the submitted article or in delay in publication of the accepted article is not to prepare manuscripts in accordance with submission/publication rules of the journal.
- Pages of the submitted manuscripts should be numbered on right upper corner starting from the first page, and manuscripts should contain the following sections, each starting on a separate sheet.
- Title page: Title of the article (with small/sentence letters), names of the authors (without academic degrees), affiliations of the authors, short running title not exceeding 40 characters, detailed information about any financial support or grant from a scientific foundation (if present), name, place and date of the scientific meeting where the article has been presented (if present), and correspondence information (name, address, e-mail, fax and phone) of the corresponding author should be given in respect order. If there are more than one authors from different centers, authors from the same center should be symbolized with "*" at the end of the name of each author with increasing number of the symbol (*) in corresponding to the increasing number of different author centers.
- Summary and key words in English: Type, aim, material and method, results, discussion and conclusions of the study should be summarized in a single paragraph not exceeding 200 words and without using subheadings. Abbreviations except for measurements should not be used in the Summary. Paragraph below (following) the Summary should include key words of less than five, appropriate for indexing and computer programs and in accordance with the frame and summary of the article.
- Summary, title of the article and key words in Turkish: Summary in Turkish may be the translation of summary in English but should include a title in Turkish. This type of summary also should contain key words (less than five) and not exceed 200 words.
- Subheadings of "Introduction", "Material and Methods", "Results" and "Discussion", and "Introduction", "Case(s) Report" and "Discussion" should be written left intended and in bold in research articles and case reports, respectively. There should be a space (empty) line between the previous paragraph and the subheadings, whereas there should be none between the subheadings and the following paragraph, and first lines of all the paragraphs after the subheadings should be hanged.
- Acknowledgment: Those who have indirect contributions to the preparation of manuscript are acknowledged explaining the kind of contribution in detail.
- References: References numbered according to the order of appearance in the text should be shown in parantheses in the most appropriate place, where mentioned first. If there are several (more than one) and consecutive references in the parantheses, they should be demonstrated by separating the first and last numbers with "-" [for instance (2-9)]. If there are several but not consecutive references in the parantheses, they should be demonstrated by separating each reference with "," [for instance (1,3,4,6)]. If there are six or less authors in a reference, all the authors should be written, however, if there are more than six authors, the first three should be given, and rest of the authors should be shown as "et al". Individual correspondings and unpublished data can not be cited as reference, however, these may be mentioned in the text, if very necessary. Titles of the journals should be given as used in Index Medicus. Followings are some examples for demonstrating references:
- For articles:
Sarıcı SÜ, Serdar MA, Korkmaz A, et al. Incidence, course, and prediction of hyperbilirubinemia in nearterm and term newborns. Pediatrics 2004; 113: 775-780.
- Arpacı F, Kömürcü Ş, Öztürk B, Özet A, Kınalp C, Yalçın A. The mobilization with delayed G-CSF administration after standard induction chemotherapy and single standard volume apheresis can supply adequate amount of CD34(+) cells in patients with breast cancer. Haematologica 2001; 86: E01.
- Küçükali İ, Bülbül M, Peker Y ve ark. Bilateral meme kanseri. Optimal Tıp Dergisi 1993; 6: 7-11.
- For a chapter of a book:
Kissane JM. Development of the kidney and congenital malformations. In: Hepstinstall RH (ed). Pathology of the Kidney. 2nd ed. Vol 1. Boston: Little and Brown Co, 1974: 69-109.
- Bayraktar Z. Diabetik retinopati epidemiyolojisi. In: Özkan Ş, Akar S (eds). Diabetik Retinopati. 2nci baskı. İstanbul: Dilek Ofset, 2000: 1-9.
- For a chapter of a book with only one author:
Praat RTC. The Genetics of Neurological Disorders. London: Oxford University Press, 1967: 173-174.
- For presentations at scientific meetings:
Sarıcı SÜ, Dabak O, Erdinç K, Okutan V, Lenk MK. İntravenöz ibuprofenin bildirilmemiş bir komplikasyonu: gastrointestinal kanama. 18. Ulusal Neonatoloji Kongresi, 21-24 Nisan 2010, Bodrum. Kongre Özet Kitabı, 329-330.
- Tables: Tables should be numbered with Roman numbers according to the order of appearance in the text, and each table with its title (above the table) should be printed on a separate sheet. In the table titles, "Table I." should be written in bold, and rest of the title should be written with small letters in regular font. Number of tables should be shown in parantheses in the most appropriate place in the text.
- Figures, pictures and photographs: These should be numbered as figures with Arabic numbers according to the order of appearance in the text, and their places should be marked in the most appropriate place in the text. Each figure and its title below the figure should be printed on a separate sheet. In the figure titles, first part of the title ("Figure 1.") should be written in bold, and the rest should be written with small letters in regular font. Titles and footnotes of materials like pictures and photographs should be printed on separate and empty sheets (below the place of the material).
Before sending to the Editorial Office, all manuscripts should be checked with respect to the following issues.
- Cover letter for submission to the journal
- Copyright transfer statement (form) approved and signed by all the authors
- Approval form of the institutional ethics committee for experimental and clinical research articles
- Title page
- Title of the article
- Names of the authors
- Affiliations of the authors
- Short running title
- Information about any financial support or grant from a scientific foundation, if present
- Information about the scientific meeting, at where (and if) the article has been presented
- Detailed correspondence information (name, address, e-mail, fax and phone) of the corresponding author, to whom reprints will be sent
- Summary and key words in English
- Summary, title of the article and key words in Turkish
- Text ("Introduction", "Material and Methods", "Results" and "Discussion" in research articles, and "Introduction","Case(s) Report" and "Discussion" in case reports)
- Tables (with their titles and footnotes above and below the table, respectively)
- Figures, pictures and photographs (Figures will be printed out with their titles and footnotes [below the figure], and posterior surface of the pictures and photographs will be marked, with their titles and footnotes on separate and empty sheets)
- In order to provide that Gulhane Medical Journal is included in international indexing and citation services by being appropriately searched and indexed by these services without being wasted (any citation), please do use "Gulhane Med J" as journal title and abbreviation of the journal title on citing any article published in Gulhane Medical Journal.
- Announcements and advertisements may be published in the journal with and after approval of the Editorial Board.
- Price of subscription including postage services is 30 TL. This price is subject to change upon the decision of Editorial Board.
- All rights of the journal are reserved.